Saturday 28 December 2013

Mr. Morgan's Last Love





Mr. Morgan’s Last Love – a story of a retired, widowed philosophy professor (Michael Caine). I personally do not like love drama. So what attracts me to watch this movie? Paris. I enjoy watching the scenic views of Paris throughout the movie. How I wish I could visit Paris someday. The angle of the camera of each scene is amazingly well taken. I also do enjoy listening to French accent in the movie. I love Caine and Clemence Poesy’s acting, cute and charming. I appreciate this film because the director, Sandra Nettelback is dedicating the film to his deceased father.

Morgan cannot accept the death of his beloved wife and he is unable to move on. He has the purpose of life and meaning of life on his wife. Once he loses his wife the very purpose of his living, everything in his life crumbles. He defines his life as “chaotic”.
I love these lines of dialogues in the film:

Pauline            You shaved your beard

Morgan           Yeah. Don’t you like it?

Pauline            I do. But I like your beard. It reminds me of my father.

Morgan           I hope you like your father

Pauline            I did. He’s dead

Morgan           Oh I am sorry. I didn’t realize that

Pauline            It was long time ago

Morgan           Your hair. It is so like my wife’s hair

Pauline            Well, I hope you like your wife

Morgan           I did. She’s dead

Pauline            Matthew. That is not funny

Morgan           I am not kidding. She died. Three years, two months and eleven days ago

Morgan says, “there is crack in everything that is how the light gets in”. This line can imply two facts of life. First, life is dark and miserable and hence it takes the presence of crack so that the light can shine in. Second, there is always a crack in life but there is silver lining too. For Morgan, Pauline (Clemence Poesy) is the crack in his life.

Morgan        You don’t love life in itself. You love places, animals, memories, food, literature, music. And sometimes you meet someone who requires all the love you have to give. And if you lose that someone, you think everything else is gonna stop too. But everything else just keeps on going. Giraudoux said, you can miss a single being, even though you are surrounded by countless others. Those people are like… extras. They cloud your vision. They are meaningless crowd. They are unwelcomed distraction. So you seek oblivion in solitude. But solitude only makes you wither.

Pauline            So I am a distraction. I am a cloud

Morgan           You are the only part of my life. I haven’t figured out yet

Morgan cannot figure out what part Pauline plays in his life. Is she like a cloud or something, is she a distraction in his life? Or is she just the substitute for his lost wife? His life feels empty without his wife. His children are but the distraction of his life for he never wants them in the first place. Morgan’s melancholic view of life is sad and depressing isn’t it? In reality, there may be many people like Morgan out there. They may have lost the meaning and purpose of life to move on. Probably, to love and to be loved is what keeps life going.  


Jakarta Selatan, 28 Desember 2013

Kekuatan Kelemahlembutan - Bilangan 12